Walnut Loaf Recipe
Gluten Free, Egg Free, Dairy Free, Vegan
In the Stay Strong Mummy Fitness Plan we discuss the issues gluten can cause in your diet and how it can hamper your weight loss. Finding healthy easy and tasty alternatives is important to ensure there isn’t a feeling of missing out. This walnut loaf is a fantastic gluten-free bread replacement. We love it toasted with a slather of organic butter.
(We found this recipe on the Healthy Chef’s website and have slightly changed it to add a little more flavour and texture.)
What you need..
1 3/4 cups of quinoa seeds (uncooked) soaked in water overnight
1/4 cup chia seeds soaked in 1/4 cup of water (they will take a few minutes to expand and form a paste)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
2 apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 cup walnuts (or nut/seeds of choice)
2 tsp garlic or onion powder
pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven 160 degrees and grease/line a loaf tin
- Rinse the quinoa seeds in fresh water (use a fine sieve) make sure water runs clear
- Place seeds into a high powered blender (vitamix) or food processor
- Add chia seeds paste, apple cider vinegar, water, bicarbonate soda, garlic or onion powder
- Blitz until yo get a smooth batter texture, then fold in the walnuts until mixed through
- Spoon into the loaf tin, cover with silver foil and place in oven or 1 hour covered, then remove oil for remaining 20 minutes. The top should brown and be firm to touch.
- Allow to cool and cut into slices. Can be stored in the fridge. We like to toast and top with butter, natural nut spread or avocado.